Wanted: A Technical Jedi Master
(commonly called a Client Advocate)
WHO WE ARE
YJT Solutions is an IT consulting and managed services provider catering to small and mid-sized Chicago organizations. We launched in 2001, helping to solve some of the IT operational challenges of Chicago’s most intense trading environments. We’re now ranked among MSPmentor’s Top 200 Worldwide Providers, but our customers are all local. We are uniquely committed to serving only local clients. On the surface, our business is about technology, but the true focus of YJT is delivering excellence, and establishing trusted partnerships with our customers. That being said, if you are fond of the phrase “close enough,” please don’t apply for this job. YJT Solutions has a 99 percent retention rate for managed services customers and a near-perfect customer satisfaction rating of 4.95 out of 5—and that’s not “close enough.”
At YJT, we build relationships. We foster and develop trust with co-workers, end-users, clients and even their clients and employees. Our mission is to make those people’s lives easier and their businesses more successful by resolving their technology issues and managing their IT systems. YJT isn’t a big firm. We’re team-oriented and it’s all hands on deck, especially during stormy weather. Above all, we’re looking for a “do-er.” If you have lofty ideas but need someone to carry out the work, you won’t be a fit for this job. Please don’t apply. If, on the other hand, you pride yourself on “getting shit done,” we’ll be happy to have you.
Client Advocacy requires a sensitivity to The Force. This person is wise beyond their years, agile, dynamic and astute when it comes to identifying and meeting client needs, almost before they develop. We are looking for a mythical leader who can captivate an Imperial audience and earn their absolute trust. They are a trusted technical adviser for all of the client’s needs — the go-to person with the technical knowledge and experience to evaluate a problem and develop solutions. If you think that your skills are a better fit for the dark side, please don’t apply for this job. But if you’re energized by the idea of having a direct impact on our brand and customer happiness, then we’d love to have you join the YJT order.
WHO YOU ARE: SKILLS-WISE
- Technically Sound. At the very least, you have a four-year degree that either includes, or is complemented by, training and experience in the technology field. You have at least five years of experience in a customer oriented, service-management role. Have ITIL certifications? Even better! This position won’t have you installing networks, but you need to be familiar with industry standards and understand how IT environments work— specifically what solutions, tools or formats can be leveraged to resolve a client’s IT issues. You can whiteboard, propose, and design solutions to meet pressing client needs—in other words, you are technical Batman, but don’t need Robin sitting in the passenger seat of the Batmobile.
- A Natural, Genuine People Person. You can handle the dual responsibility of being a key resource on our team, while also playing a key role on client’s teams as well. You act as a sounding board for the client as they consider IT strategies, and your customers ask for your input, even when you have nothing to do with the problem at hand — they just trust you that much.
- Master of Juggling. Given YJT’s commitment to satisfying each and every one of our clients, we need a Client Advocate with—how shall we say it? — the ability to simultaneously tap dance underwater for one client, herd cats for another, and still stick the landing with panache. Handling multiple clients is a circus act, but you can do it!
- Data Junkie. You pride yourself on being well informed and are not one to rely on intuition and isolated incidents alone to form an impression on satisfaction levels for customers. Your discussions and analyses are informed by survey data, evaluations, metrics, and tool sets we use to keep tabs on service delivery. You understand how to compile and analyze this data, as well as leverage it for decision making.
- Proactive Problem Solver. You see solutions to core problems based on your own observations or client feedback almost before issues are ever raised. You are adept at crafting elegant solutions and communicating them—to your clients and your YJT colleagues— in clear, logical language. When you see a gap in existing services, you always recommend improvements to fill the gap and increase customer satisfaction.
- Crisis Communication Expert. You aren’t hesitant about letting your leaders and colleagues know about problems. You’ll press your peers, the Command Center Manager, and Professional Services Manager to take fast action when the situation warrants it. You communicate urgency to the internal team, while maintaining YJT’s environment of mutual respect and cooperation.
- Sales and Account-Management Acumen. In many ways, you will be the client’s CIO, the person whom they count on to think about the larger picture, consult on issues arising from services, and who knows when to involve necessary team resources. You’ve weathered a lot of storms in your day, been in the trenches, walked the tightrope—all those clichés that add up to a world of experience managing both technology and customers. So to be clear, this position is for a seasoned general, not fresh faced recruits!
If your skill set doesn’t meet these requirements, you won’t be a fit for this job. Please don’t apply. You’ll need these abilities in droves to execute within our high-velocity environment. If you’re still developing this skill level, please take a look at another one of our job openings.
WHO YOU ARE: PERSONALITY-WISE
- Hungry for Knowledge. You’re always on the lookout for the next intellectual addition to your arsenal. You like and want to work in a managed-knowledge organization that promotes from within, and you take these opportunities to glean insight from other members of the team.
- Meticulous, Laser-Focused and Flexible. You’re organized without being neurotic—except when it comes to procrastination. You have a refined system for getting things done and the thought of pushing off responsibilities gives you hives. But you also have the tact to walk the fine line between being demanding and persistent.
- Corporate Usain Bolt. You’re capable of moving rapidly from task to task without getting rattled. Your desk is clear, your email inbox is empty, your kitchen counters aren’t cluttered, and you never spend 15 minutes tearing around the house in a desperate hunt for your car keys or train pass. You are a lean, mean, well-oiled machine.
- Emotionally Mature. Through your years of experience, you’ve learned that occasional hiccups are inevitable and now know enough to just keep moving towards the end goal. You’re calm under pressure, encourage respectful dialog, and understand that communication is the balm that can soothe the sting of conflict.
- A Trusted Confidant. You are genuinely reliable, respectful, thoughtful and responsible. These qualities are in your genes and guide your moral compass. They describe how you treat people—and expect to be treated in return. At YJT, we’re right there with you and completely agree!
- Bilingual in English and Techie. Every industry has its own mystery language — what sounds like mind-blowing gibberish to the computer illiterate makes perfect sense to you. You are able to think technologically to assess and solve an issue, and then translate your findings into plain English to present to the client in a well-reasoned proposal. You always confirm that the client truly understands what you are proposing, and only hand off to YJT’s team for implementation when you’re confident that your client understands and buys into the solution.
- Right Brain/Left Brain OS. The engineering side of your brain thrives on developing and continually improving a client’s IT environment, taking an analytical, logical, and solutions-oriented approach. But that isn’t your whole story —you are also a creative, warm and personable presence. People rely on you to build trust and unite conflicting parties in consensus. You’re articulate, confident and not afraid to speak up or keep the conversation moving along. Plus you always know which amps can be turned up all the way to 11.
We’re serious about these qualities. If they don’t apply to you, you won’t be happy at YJT Solutions and we won’t be happy with you. Let’s avoid all that discomfort by agreeing you won’t contort yourself to meet requirements that just don’t fit. You are who you are, and that’s okay.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
(Otherwise known as the fine print, the list of job tasks and responsibilities.)
The Client Advocate is responsible for two things: keeping existing customers happy with YJT’s managed services and projects, and identifying unmet needs that YJT can fulfill with additional services. The Client Advocate will report to the CEO, and work closely with YJT’s President/Professional Services Manager and the Command Center Manager to maintain high-performing service levels.
- Develop relationships with each customer and act as their “Virtual CIO,” providing strategic guidance, thoughtful analysis, and comprehensive solutions for technology issues.
- Think “big picture” and then handle all the fine details – manage client roadmaps and present opportunities for further technical advancement.
- Serve as YJT’s sales agent for current customers, handling inquiries about new and existing services and making proactive recommendations that serve to contribute to their business goals.
- Generate proposals/service schedules for discovery and engineering work in collaboration with the pre-sales engineering team.
- Track all opportunities in the CRM tool and drive to close.
- Conduct Quarterly Business Reviews to develop deeper client relationships, pressing in on customer needs, YJT performance, and additional opportunities to promote relationship growth.
Client Service Management
- Establish and refine our client satisfaction and feedback evaluations to measure performance and anticipate needs.
- Track and improve client satisfaction while communicating customer issues, questions, and concerns back to YJT and recommending adjustments in our strategic approach.
- Address billing disputes and customer service issues with meaningful resolutions.
- Coordinate with both the Command Center Manager and Professional Services Manager to facilitate changes and improvements in service processes.
Service Contract Management
- Ensure that customer service contracts are up-to-date in terms of number of devices, user counts, and services provided.
- Oversee on-time renewal of customer contracts, leading negotiations and modifications as necessary.
- Identify and track problems with customer accounts, working closely with the Command Center Manager to make sure present issues are addressed quickly and the resolutions exceed customer expectations.
- Track customer performance and confirm incident trending analysis is up-to-date.
- Review customer metrics to prepare recommendations for Quarterly Business Reviews.
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN
First of all, you’ll get our respect and gratitude for the role you play in making YJT Solutions the best it can be. We’ll try to provide you with skills, training, responsibility and opportunities to grow, both at YJT Solutions and wherever your career takes you in the future. (However, we hope you’ll be successful here for a good, long time.)
We are the best in our business and we intend to remain on the cutting edge, both in customer services and the solutions we offer. We are lucky to form a team in which everyone sets the bar high and is right alongside you aiming for bigger, better, smarter.
We know that’s not enough.
Here are some of the employee benefits we currently offer:
- Competitive pay
- Matching employer contributions to your 401(k)
- 100% coverage of your medical and dental insurance premiums
- 100% coverage of life insurance, short- and long-term disability premiums
- Cell phone reimbursement program
- Tax-deferred commuter expense reimbursement options
- Reimbursement program for qualifying certifications
- Flexible PTO policy
- “Fridays @ 4,” our weekly Happy Hour
- Company-wide outings every three months. Recent examples include Ravinia concerts, rooftop barbecues, floating the Chicago River, bowling & bocce, laser tag, and vintage gaming at Headquarters, among other things!
One more thing. YJT Solutions is Chicago-centric, so you won’t be getting on airplanes and pulled away from your family, friends, and community. We only serve organizations that are headquartered in and adjacent to the city. Whether you already live in Chicagoland, or will be moving to join us, we think access to Chicago—and the ability to actually live your life here—is one of the best benefits of a YJT position.
We adore Chicago—and why wouldn’t we? Just this year, it was identified on an internationally recognized index as one of 16 “globally elite” cities out of the 125 evaluated. Business-wise, it’s got everything. Values? “The most typically American place in America,” according to a Brit who visited eons ago. And entertainment—high-brow or low-brow, indoors or out, you can always find something to do in Chicago.
At YJT, we’re thrilled to contribute to the city’s global excellence. We hope you will be, too.