Wanted: A Techno-ninja of Cosmic Aspirations
(Also known as an IT Engineer Resident ℠)
WHO WE ARE
Join YJT Solutions for a one-year opportunity as an IT Engineer Resident℠ in our fast-tracked, rotational development program. Launch your career with real-world experience at Chicago’s premier IT consulting and MSP firm, where our sole focus is excellence.
At YJT Solutions, we believe in “always learning” employees—engineers at all levels who value personal advancement and want to escalate up the skills ladder. We do our best to make that happen. You won’t find yourself on the hamster wheel at YJT Solutions; we’re ranked among MSPmentor’s Top 200 Providers worldwide.
There are no “McJobs” at YJT. Our senior engineers are required to teach and mentor residents, not just supervise them. As a resident, you’ll be responsible for solving a wide variety of network and systems issues for YJT’s clients. When you need support, it’s immediately available. You’ll be learning by doing.
We call this first-year experience a “residency” because it’s an opportunity to enhance your skills with hands-on experience solving problems for businesses of all shapes and sizes. You’ll be using a variety of IT tools and products. You’ll deal with services for client accounts but also be exposed to customized IT systems and networks.
A residency at YJT isn’t limited to technology. Our success is built on relationships with co-workers, end-users, clients and their clients and employees. We launched in 2001, solving some of the IT operational challenges of Chicago’s intense trading environments. Because we’re a small firm, with a philosophy of teamwork and transparency, you’ll learn how the business operates.
We created this unique residency because we want top-quality candidates, people with more than one good employment prospect. Of course, we hope you remain at YJT Solutions for a long, long time. But even if you don’t, a YJT residency will prepare you for a lifelong successful IT career in a way that any other job just simply cannot match.
WHO YOU ARE: SKILLS-WISE
- You have a minimum of one year experience as an outside support resource, or two years working as internal support. You either have a Bachelor’s degree or you’re actively working toward completion of one. You will obtain an applicable certification (such as MCP) within your first six months at YJT Solutions. CompTIA and Cisco certifications are a definite plus.
- You’re getting to be the grease monkey of the IT environment. You have a firm understanding of desktop hardware and operating systems, and can use hardware diagnostic tools to address operating systems issues. You have a solid understanding of standard employee productivity suites—Microsoft Office/Outlook, and you fully understand mobile device configurations and support.
- You have a basic understanding of networking principles, including:
- Client-server networking, switching, and the Alphabet Soup of TCP/IP—DNS, WINS, DHCP, routing and internet.
- CAT5/CAT6 wiring, including wireless security and client configuration, and network firewall and security technology.
- Entry-level knowledge of Active Directory, with the ability to perform basic user-account administration tasks.
- You know that maintenance tasks, consistently carried out, are essential to smooth server operations.
- You’re capable of monitoring and trouble-shooting backup software, reviewing hardware monitoring tools, and trouble-shooting the fundamentals.
- When the baby gets sick, you know what to do. You have corporate anti-virus software experience (preferably Symantec Endpoint Protection), as well as experience removing viruses and spyware.
- You’re available to work nights and weekends in a rotation, while getting days off. Yes, there will be weekend and night shifts—YJT provides local, live coverage 24/7 just like a hospital does. We believe we’ve found the best compromise between delivering round-the-clock service and still creating a learning atmosphere where residents get a taste of everything—day and night—and aren’t “stuck” in a single, static shift. These hours might initially seem like an adjustment, but our residents tell us that they learn a lot during these times that they would never learn in another “regular” job. And we make it up to you with some two-day workweeks! Also, as any doctor will tell you, the shift work doesn’t last forever. Once you’ve proven your knowledge, you’ll be promoted to Engineer and be the person training the next class of residents.
If your skillset doesn’t meet these requirements, you won’t be a fit for this job. Please don’t apply. If you’re working toward this skill level, please look at our other job openings. One of them may be more suitable, while positioning you to move into an engineer role.
WHO YOU ARE: PERSONALITY-WISE
- Right Brain, Left Brain OS: You’re a little obsessive-compulsive when it comes to correctly implementing known solutions, but you’ve got a streak of Potter-ish ingenuity when something weird comes along. You break problems down, using a logical process of elimination to solve them. But you pay attention to intuitive inspiration.
- Persnickety: You follow complex, detailed instructions for complex, detailed tasks. Again, you avoid even thinking, “That’s good enough.”
- Bilingual in English and Tech-speak. You understand what the problem is, even when the person calling is 404, technically speaking. While they’re talking, you’re thinking technologically, assessing and solving their issue, then translating the solution into English before communicating it to the end-user. In other words, you speak the mainstream language recognized by Muggles.
- Resilience of a rubber band: You don’t snap when stretched to your limits by panicked, frustrated and/or irate users who probably tried to solve the problem themselves before calling the Service Desk and are therefore operating on their last nerve. You have the temperament of a Zen monk on a Rocky Mountain high.
- Appetite for learning: You’re always reaching for the next apple on the knowledge tree, as well as the last piece of pizza in the box. Learning is its own reward—but it also helps when you have your eye on a job in the next tier. You like working in a managed-knowledge organization that promotes from within as you gain experience.
- Persistent, but not stubborn: You’ll be damned if you’re going to give up on a problem you know you can solve, but you recognize when it’s time to escalate to a higher tier. Next time, you’ll have the solution at hand.
- You play fair. You live by all those early childhood lessons about treating people with respect, keeping your commitments, listening to the views of others, resolving conflict through negotiation, communicating clearly, and contributing to a positive team effort. You place team success above your individual interests.
We’re serious about these qualities. If they don’t apply to you, you won’t be happy at YJT Solutions and we won’t be happy with you. We’ll part ways sooner rather than later. Let’s avoid all that discomfort by agreeing you won’t contort yourself to meet requirements that just don’t fit. You are who you are, and that’s okay.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
(Otherwise known as the fine print, the list of job tasks and responsibilities.)
An IT Engineering Resident ℠ is primarily responsible for providing first-level support to YJT Solutions’ clients with network and systems support issues, often as the first point of contact. Residents are also exposed to monitoring and management tools that help proactively address problems before they become service tickets. You will be supported and mentored by next-level engineers.
- Carry Out Operations
- Accept cases from the support queue
- Assist clients with support, both onsite and remotely
- Communicate progress on problems, as well as resolution
- Exceed SLA guarantees to YJT’s clients
- Document all tasks in ITSM platform
- Know when to fold ‘em—understand when and how to escalate an issue
- Employ Technology
- Complete new computer setups
- Fix virus/malware issues
- Configure network printers
- Resolve computer application and operating system issues
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot
- Verify network connectivity, both wired and wireless
- Provide mobile device support, including Apple, Android, and Windows devices
- Manage end-user email experience
- Master Exchange and Office365
- Troubleshoot bounce-backs, SPAM, and transmission issues
- Configure webmail
- Manage user profiles
- Navigate Active Directory and Exchange to perform password resets, move/add/change requests, file permission adjustments, and distribution list creation.
- Troubleshoot and configure basic backups; perform simple file restores
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN
First of all, you’ll get our respect and gratitude for the role you play in making YJT Solutions the best it can be. We’ll provide you with skills, training, responsibility, and opportunities to rapidly advance your skillset while gaining environment & technology exposure that you simply can’t find working anywhere else.
We know that’s not enough.
Here are some of the employee benefits we currently offer:
- Competitive pay
- Matching employer contributions to your 401k
- 100 percent coverage of your medical and dental insurance premiums
- 100 percent coverage of life insurance premiums, as well as premiums for short and long-term disability insurance
- Commuter Expense Reimbursement Account
- A reimbursement program for certification test materials and exams
- Flexible PTO policy
- “Fridays @ 4,” our weekly Happy Hour
- Company-wide outings every three months. Recent examples include Ravinia concerts, rooftop barbecues, floating the Chicago River, bowling & bocce, laser tag, and vintage gaming at Headquarters, among other things!
One more thing. YJT Solutions is Chicago-centric, so you won’t be getting on airplanes and pulled away from your family, friends, and community. We only serve organizations that are headquartered in and adjacent to the city. Whether you already live in Chicagoland, or will be moving to join us, we think access to Chicago – and the ability to actually live your life here — is one of the best benefits of a YJT position.
We adore Chicago—and why wouldn’t we? Just this year, it was identified on an internationally recognized index as one of 16 “globally elite” cities out of the 125 evaluated. Business-wise, it’s got everything. Values? “The most typically American place in America,” according to a Brit who visited eons ago. And entertainment—high-brow or low-brow, indoors or out, you can always find something to do in Chicago.
At YJT, we’re thrilled to contribute to the city’s global excellence. We hope you will be, too.