Wanted: A Techno-Padawan Seeking Galactic Exposure
(Also known as an IT Resident Intern)
WHO WE ARE
Join YJT Solutions this summer as an IT Resident Intern in our fast-tracked, professional development program. Launch your career with real-world experience at Chicago’s premier IT consulting and MSP firm, where our sole focus is excellence.
At YJT Solutions, we believe in “always learning” employees—engineers at all levels who value personal advancement and want to escalate up the skills ladder. We do our best to make that happen. You won’t find yourself on the hamster wheel at YJT Solutions; we’re ranked among MSPmentor’s Top 200 Providers worldwide.
There are no “McJobs” at YJT. Our senior engineers are required to teach and mentor interns, not just supervise them. As an intern, you’ll be responsible for solving a wide variety of network and systems issues for YJT’s clients. When you need support, it’s immediately available. You’ll be learning by doing.
We call this summer experience a “residency” because it’s an opportunity to enhance your skills with hands-on experience solving problems for businesses of all shapes and sizes. You’ll be using a variety of IT tools and products. You’ll deal with services for client accounts but also be exposed to customized IT systems and networks.
A residency at YJT isn’t limited to technology. Our success is built on relationships with co-workers, end-users, clients and their clients and employees. We launched in 2001, solving some of the IT operational challenges of Chicago’s intense trading environments. Because we’re a small firm, with a philosophy of teamwork and transparency, you’ll learn how the business operates.
We created this unique residency because we want top-quality candidates, people with more than just one good employment prospect. Of course, we hope you find your home at YJT Solutions and choose to stay. But even if you don’t, a YJT residency will prepare you for a lifelong successful IT career in a way that any other summer internship just simply cannot match.
WHO YOU ARE: SKILLS-WISE
- You are actively working towards completion of your Bachelor’s degree in a technology centric major and are seeking an opportunity in summer 2017 to put your knowledge into action!
- You are available for full-time hours and are excited to spend your summer in an entrepreneurial firm housed downtown in the Windy City: Chicago, IL.
- Your long-term goal is to grow into a specialization involving infrastructure troubleshooting, management, and design, but for now, you keep yourself busy on your home network: testing out and troubleshooting any equipment you can get your hands on.
- You have a desire to become the grease monkey of the IT environment and are currently considered your family’s “techie-troubleshooter”. You have a solid understanding of desktop hardware and operating systems, and can use hardware diagnostic tools to address operating systems issues. You have a solid understanding of standard employee productivity suites—Microsoft Office/Outlook, and you have basic understanding of mobile device configurations and support.
- You have a basic understanding of networking principles, including:
- Client-server networking, switching, and the Alphabet Soup of TCP/IP—DNS, WINS, DHCP, routing and internet.
- CAT5/CAT6 wiring, including wireless security and client configuration, and network firewall and security technology.
- Entry-level knowledge of Active Directory, with the ability to perform basic user-account administration tasks.
- You’re capable of monitoring and trouble-shooting backup software, reviewing hardware monitoring tools, and trouble-shooting the fundamentals.
- When the baby gets sick, you know where they keep the medicine. You have anti-virus software experience (preferably Symantec Endpoint Protection), as well as elementary experience removing viruses and spyware.
WHO YOU ARE: PERSONALITY-WISE
- Right Brain, Left Brain OS: You’re a little obsessive-compulsive when it comes to correctly implementing known solutions, but you’ve got a streak of Potter-ish ingenuity when something weird comes along. You break problems down, using a logical process of elimination to solve them. But you pay attention to intuitive inspiration.
- Persnickety: You follow complex, detailed instructions for complex, detailed tasks. Again, you avoid even thinking, “That’s good enough.”
- Bilingual in English and Tech-speak. You understand what the problem is, even when the person calling is 404, technically speaking. While they’re talking, you’re thinking technologically, assessing and solving their issue, then translating the solution into English before communicating it to the end-user. In other words, you speak the mainstream language recognized by Muggles.
- Resilience of a rubber band: You don’t snap when stretched to your limits by panicked, frustrated and/or irate users who probably tried to solve the problem themselves before and are now operating on their last nerve. You have the temperament of a Zen monk on a Rocky Mountain high.
- Appetite for learning: You’re always reaching for the next apple on the knowledge tree, as well as the last piece of pizza in the box. Learning is its own reward—but it also helps when you have your eye on a job in the next tier. With 98% of YJT interns receiving full-time offers after their residency, that next step could be closer than you think. You like working in a managed-knowledge organization that promotes from within as you gain experience.
- Persistent, but not stubborn: You’ll be damned if you’re going to give up on a problem you know you can solve, but you recognize when it’s time to escalate to a higher tier. Next time, you’ll have the solution at hand.
- You play fair. You live by all those early childhood lessons about treating people with respect, keeping your commitments, listening to the views of others, resolving conflict through negotiation, communicating clearly, and contributing to a positive team effort. You place team success above your individual interests.
We’re serious about these qualities. If they don’t apply to you, you won’t be happy at YJT Solutions and we won’t be happy with you. We’ll part ways sooner rather than later. Let’s avoid all that discomfort by agreeing you won’t contort yourself to meet requirements that just don’t fit. You are who you are, and that’s okay.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
(Otherwise known as the fine print, the list of job tasks and responsibilities.)
IT Resident Interns are responsible for everything from providing first-level support for desktop, network, and system issues facing YJT Solution’s clients to assisting YJT Engineers with project tasks involving on-site, client implementations to internal improvement measures. Resident Interns are exposed to a variety of environments in the Chicago SMB marketplace and gain hands-on, trail by fire experiences with end-user troubleshooting, monitoring and management tools, and IT operational best practices through working alongside both our Engineer Resident and Sr. Engineer teams during our 10 week internship program.
Gain valuable hands-on experience at a fast-paced IT Managed Service Provider
- Understand YJT’s Ticketing Systems & Documentation
- Receive training on troubleshooting best practices and employed, ITIL methodologies
- Learn the fundamentals of customer service: how to handle client interactions & assess priority
Receive training on procedures, processes, and operations in YJT’s combined NOC & Service Desk, otherwise known as the “Command Center”
Carry Out Operations
- Accept cases from the support queue
- Assist clients with support, both onsite and remotely
- Communicate progress on problems, as well as resolution
- Exceed SLA guarantees to YJT’s clients
- Document all tasks in ITSM platform
- Know when to fold ‘em—understand when and how to escalate an issue
- Work with network and systems engineers to maintain our internal network and address internal IT support issues
- Collaborate with other project team members in the application of leading-edge technology in critical, time-sensitive environments.
- Complete new computer setups
- Fix virus/malware issues
- Configure network printers
- Resolve computer application and operating system issues
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot workstation and network hardware
- Verify network connectivity, both wired and wireless
- Provide mobile device support, including Apple, Android, and Windows devices
- Manage end-user email experience
- Master Exchange and Office365
- Troubleshoot bounce-backs, SPAM, and transmission issues
- Configure webmail
- Manage user profiles
- Navigate Active Directory and Exchange to perform password resets, move/add/change requests, file permission adjustments, and distribution list creation.
- Troubleshoot and configure basic backups; perform simple file restores
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN
First of all, you’ll get our respect and gratitude for the role you play in making YJT Solutions the best it can be. We’ll provide you with skills, training, responsibility, and opportunities to rapidly advance your skillset while gaining environment & technology exposure that you simply can’t find working anywhere else.
Here are some of the additional perks we offer our Interns:
- Competitive hourly pay
- Summer housing assistance (coordination assistance & housing stipend)
- “Fridays @ 4,” our weekly Happy Hour
- Inclusion in Company-wide training events, including “Interrogation of the Mikes”: YJT’s bi-weekly, open forum training session
- Admittance to our company-wide summer outing. Recent examples of past outings include Ravinia concerts, rooftop barbecues, floating the Chicago River, bowling & bocce, laser tag, and vintage gaming at Headquarters, among other things!
- Opportunities to collaborate with Linda Maclachlan, CEO, and discuss career advice & growth opportunities
One more thing. YJT Solutions is Chicago-centric, so we only serve organizations that are headquartered in and adjacent to the city. Whether you already live in Chicagoland, or will be moving to join us, we think access to Chicago – and the ability to spend your summer here — is one of the best benefits of a YJT position. At YJT, we’re thrilled to contribute to the city’s global excellence. We hope you will be, too.