Wanted: A World-dominating Techno-champion
( commonly called an IT Systems Engineer )
WHO WE ARE
YJT Solutions is an IT consulting and managed services provider catering to small and mid-sized Chicago organizations. We launched in 2001, helping to solve some of the IT operational challenges of Chicago’s most intense trading environments. We’re now ranked among MSPmentor’s Top 200 worldwide providers, but our customers are all local. Our sole focus is excellence. If you are fond of the phrase “close enough,” please don’t apply for this job. YJT Solutions has a near-perfect customer satisfaction rating—4.95 out of 5—and that’s not “close enough.”
Yes, we’re techies, geeks and nerds. But YJT’s excellence is all about relationships, not technology. We build—and build on—trust with co-workers, end-users, clients and their clients and employees. YJT’s mission is to make those people’s lives easier and their businesses more successful by resolving their IT issues and managing their systems. Bonded to your computer screens? Don’t apply for this position. Interested in building more than internet connections? Come on board.
Frodo couldn’t do it alone. He needed a team. YJT values teamwork and collegiality, especially on those days that feel like a march to Mordor. At YJT Solutions, everyone has a role to play, everyone leads in one situation or another, and everyone has the opportunity to grow into positions of increasing responsibility. If your goal is to be Lord of the Ring, please don’t apply for this job. If you want to join the Fellowship of the Ring, please do apply!
WHO YOU ARE: SKILLS-WISE
- You are completely familiar with client-server networking and the alphabet soup of IT—DNS, WINS, DHCP, VPN, Microsoft MCSE, VMWare VCP1, Cisco CCNA/CCNP—because you have at least three years’ of experience working as an outside support person or at least two years as internal support. You do not have one year of experience repeated 20 times. You either have a four-year degree in a relevant field, or you are working toward one. You’ve earned vendor-level certifications.
- You’re the grease monkey of the IT environment. You know the ins-and-outs of servers, desktop hardware, and operating systems, are familiar with the diagnostic tools for each, and can put those tools to good use. You are the IT version of the Tappit Brothers on NPR’s Car Talk—throw any problem at them and they have the answer, or they’ll find it. You have comprehensive knowledge of standard employee productivity suites (Microsoft office included), mobile device configurations and support, switching, wireless security and client configuration, and network firewall and security technology. Your knowledge of Active Directory, Windows/Linux, and Storage Area Networks is solid.
- You understand that maintenance tasks are key to smooth operations and you carry them out consistently. You have an advanced handle on hardware and backup software monitoring and consider yourself the consummate trouble-shooter.
- When the baby gets sick, you know what to do. You have corporate anti-virus software experience (preferably Symantec Endpoint Protection), as well as experience removing viruses and spyware. You’re also prepared for trouble by being fluent in disaster recovery prevention, recovery procedures, and backup solutions.
- You’ve got a specialty, or you want to develop one, within systems and networking support. The key to excellence—not to mention a fulfilling life—is continual learning. YJT Solutions supports and rewards professional growth.
If your skillset doesn’t meet these requirements, you won’t be a fit for this job. Please don’t apply. If you’re working toward this skill level, please look at our other job openings. One of them may be more suitable, while positioning you to move into an engineer role.
WHO YOU ARE: PERSONALITY-WISE
- Right Brain, Left Brain OS: You’re a little obsessive-compulsive when it comes to knowledge of documented issues and solutions, but you’ve got a streak of Potter-ish ingenuity when something weird comes along. You break problems down, using a logical process of elimination to solve them. But you pay attention to intuitive inspiration.
- Persnickety: You follow complex, detailed instructions for complex, detailed tasks. Again, you avoid even thinking, “That’s good enough.” As someone who respects others’ time and manages expectations, you consider being “on-time” a virtue and see following through on commitments as the Holy Grail of your personal work ethic.
- Bilingual in English and Tech-speak. You understand what the problem is, even when the person calling is not making sense, technically speaking. While they’re talking, you’re thinking technologically, assessing and solving their issue, then translating the solution into English before communicating it to the end-user. In other words, you speak the mainstream language recognized by Muggles.
- Resilience of a rubber band: You don’t snap when stretched to your limits by panicked, frustrated and/or irate users who probably tried to solve the problem themselves before calling the Service Desk and are therefore operating on their last nerve. You have the temperament of a Zen monk on a Rocky Mountain high.
- Appetite for learning: You’re always reaching for the next apple on the knowledge tree, as well as the last piece of pizza in the box. Learning is its own reward—but it also helps when you have your eye on a job in the next tier. You like working in a managed-knowledge organization that promotes from within.
- Persistent, but not stubborn: You’ll be damned if you’re going to give up on a problem you know you can solve, but you recognize when it’s time to escalate to a higher tier. Next time, you’ll have the solution at hand.
- Ambidexterity: You extend your hand down to support Engineering Residents, as well as reach up for help when you need it. You’re adept at balancing your own workload with the responsibilities of the team. You’re intentional about sharing constructive feedback and ideas with colleagues while welcoming the same in return.
We’re serious about these qualities. If they don’t apply to you, you won’t be happy at YJT Solutions and we won’t be happy with you. We’ll part ways sooner rather than later. Let’s avoid all that discomfort by agreeing you won’t contort yourself to meet requirements that just don’t fit. You are who you are, and that’s okay.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
(Otherwise known as the fine print, the list of job tasks and responsibilities.)
An IT Systems Engineer is primarily responsible for providing first- and second-tier support to YJT Solutions’ clients having network and systems support issues, as well as addressing issues generated by our monitoring systems. Engineers also have the opportunity to assist with client projects and assessments via the professional services delivery team.
- Look over current client SLAs, parameters and delivery, keeping your eyes open for continuous delivery opportunities
- Ensure documentation and current client information is consistently updated
- Complete reporting and metric tracking
- Employ Technology
- Perform advanced systems troubleshooting, based on your specialty
- Perform advanced network troubleshooting
- Maintain network and systems devices
- Manage configuration & patching
- Identify potential configuration improvements
- Manage and maintain server applications:
- Active Directory
- Exchange / Office 365
- Backup Software
- SQL Server
- Antivirus Software
- Administer monitoring and management tools
- Develop process documentation for Level 1 Support
- Onboard (responsible for portions of the process)
- Implement new clients
- Integrate new co-workers
- Mentor junior-level engineers
- Assist junior engineers when needed
- Respond to escalation requests from lower-tier teams
- Understand when you need to escalate an issue to the next level
- Identify and document patterns of escalation
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN
First of all, you’ll get our respect and gratitude for the role you play in making YJT Solutions the best it can be. We’ll provide you with skills, training, responsibility and opportunities to grow, both at YJT Solutions and wherever your career takes you in the future. (However, we hope you’ll be successful here for a good, long time.)
We consider mentoring and participating in the continual learning of others to be absolutely essential for both you and your co-workers. You’ll benefit by developing your leadership skills—and by having a replacement ready when you’re ready to move up to another position.
We know that’s not enough.
Here are some of the employee benefits we currently offer:
- Competitive pay
- Matching employer contributions to your 401k
- 100 percent coverage of your medical and dental insurance premiums
- 100 percent coverage of life insurance premiums, as well as premiums for short and long-term disability insurance
- Commuter Expense Reimbursement Account
- A reimbursement program for certification test materials and exams
- Flexible PTO policy
- “Fridays @ 4,” our weekly Happy Hour
- Company-wide outings every three months. Recent examples include Ravinia concerts, rooftop barbecues, floating the Chicago River, bowling & bocce, laser tag, and vintage gaming at Headquarters, among other things!
One more thing. YJT Solutions is Chicago-centric, so you won’t be getting on airplanes and pulled away from your family, friends, and community. We only serve organizations that are headquartered in and adjacent to the city. Whether you already live in Chicagoland, or will be moving to join us, we think access to Chicago – and the ability to actually live your life here — is one of the best benefits of a YJT position.
We adore Chicago—and why wouldn’t we? Just this year, it was identified on an internationally recognized index as one of 16 “globally elite” cities out of the 125 evaluated. Business-wise, it’s got everything. Values? “The most typically American place in America,” according to a Brit who visited eons ago. And entertainment—high-brow or low-brow, indoors or out, you can always find something to do in Chicago.
At YJT, we’re thrilled to contribute to the city’s global excellence. We hope you will be, too.